Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help... Pinging on 95"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:39 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help... Pinging on 95"

Had 95 put in about 2000 miles ago on my 2006 Deluxe. Ran great with no problems. On Friday (first 90 degrees day), I started noticing pinging in 5th gear at about 1/2 throttle. I thought maybe I had some bad gas but just filled the tank with 93 oct. and still have the problem. No pinging prior to Friday. I don't have a tach but tend to ping in 5th gear below 55 mph. Temp never gets hotter than 210 degrees.
SE 95
Stock heads
Andrews 26 g cams
SE A/C
Stock springer dual exhaust
SERT

What direction should take to solve this? It was just dynoed about 1 month ago.[/align]

Old 05-28-2007, 08:46 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help... Pinging on 95"

Stop lugging it

Old 05-28-2007, 09:15 PM
bobros
Road Warrior

So your saying shifting to 5th at 55 is lugging it? I haven't changed my riding pattern over the past few days. Why all of a sudden? I don't think lugging is the problem. If I punch it at 65, it will also ping.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:47 AM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Needs more gas

Old 05-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pinging is caused by heat and pressure. For some reason you have more of one or both. Higher octane fuel will bring up the ambient temp. of the engine. You should use the least amount of octane you can get away with, stay in a rpm range that doesn't ping, and improve the volumetric efficiency of your engine. We have some great performance packages that can help this.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 PM
bobros
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Kingofcubes

Pinging is caused by heat and pressure. For some reason you have more of one or both. Higher octane fuel will bring up the ambient temp. of the engine. You should use the least amount of octane you can get away with, stay in a rpm range that doesn't ping, and improve the volumetric efficiency of your engine. We have some great performance packages that can help this.
So, what are the "performance packages" that will eliminate the pinging?

Old 05-29-2007, 03:58 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What compression are you at??? I had the same problem and it was all in the timing. On real hot days it would ping real real bad and on nice cool days it was ok. I'd bet it's all in the timing... Good luck.....

Old 06-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a stage 2- 98 torque, a stage 2-1/2- 103 torque, a stage 4- 112 torque, and a stage 5- 125 torque- all based on 95". Will take 30 to 50 degrees temperature out of your oil and rev 2-4 seconds quicker.[/align]

Old 06-03-2007, 10:20 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,787 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Carbon buildup! Try running some Sea Foam through it. [Or retard the timing some.]

Old 06-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is a pretty good write-up on octane, pinging, etc.:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/technical/article/octane.htm#q3

If someone has a better link, please post it. I found this one helpful, especially for its discussion of what we call pinging; it's acutally "autoignition" caused by unburned gases in the cylinder being ignited by heat. Running a tune in your bike set-up for cool weather may be the wrong tune in hot weather because the cylindersheads are getting hotter leading to "autoignition." Your cool weather tune was probably right at that "almost" pinging timing/fuel mixture point, and the hotter weather tipped the balance to pinging. The cure is probably to simply retard the timing one or two degrees where you are getting the pinging or add some fuel to the a/f. Also, higher octane fuel tends to lower cylinder temperatures (thus reducing the chances for pinging) while lower octane fuels tend to raise cylinder temperatures all else being equal. Point is, if you are getting pinging using the recommended octane for your engine, switching to a lower octane fuel will not eliminate pinging, but may tend to aggravate the condition by spreading it to other rpm/load ranges where no pinging currently occurs. HTH.

Quick Reply: Help... Pinging on 95"