Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad rattle in 103 - here we go again.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad rattle in 103 - here we go again.

I got a 2012 Limited with 103. It is 2 years old in August. When I bought it 2 years ago...it seemed like it was awful hot and had some unusually loud rattling in the top end. Well 5000 miles later it sounded like a Kabota Tractor engine. Dealer and MoCo installed a new engine straight from the assembly line. I was very thankful...the dealer had the bike back to me in 8 days with complete brand new engine...
I installed oil temp gauge and fans to try to prevent this from happening again. Gutted cats and put a set of slip-on exhaust, Added K&N air filter had it Dyno tuned by the dealer to keep the heat down. No other mods All is good

Fast forward to August 2013...30,000 miles on odometer (25,000 on this engine)...noticed a awful rattle in engine again and it started blowing oil out the intake since the last oil change the dealer performed. They said that was due to they may have over filled it. Rattling kinda comes and goes.
Was at the dealer with my son as he was looking at the 14's and it started rattling again. Rolled it into service bay. They said I need to leave it, and my 2 year warranty expired the day before. They have had it over 30 days and finally say the MOCO is gonna pay for it. All they ask is for 2 hours of labor for tear down to find what is wrong. They said the back cylinder had 30% less compression than front cylinder, the flywheel bushings are gone, the rod ends have scars on the bearings. They gonna replace entire lower end and cases...and rework the heads. All that will be original is the jugs and my intake, and the heads will be re-worked.
They said they should have it back to me in 10-14 days. For they want to pull the parts off the assembly line instead of new old stock. Why? Do they know of some kind of defect and maybe they know this way they can get good parts to fix this thing once and for all?
I can't really complain since it is not costing me an arm and a leg, but I have been without my bike way to long. Weather is Beautiful and the smoky mountains, Key West & Ozarks are calling me!!!!!
And why is my engine failed again? I do not abuse them...no burnouts, no drag racing. Touring mostly 2 up. I ride a lot, long distance..
These engines should hold up to this and more. I change the oil every 5000 miles religiously. I use Amsoil in all holes.
The dealer says I need to go to using HD dino oil and change it every 2500 miles. REALLY? Says it is an air cooled engine, got to change the oil more frequently...book says 5000???? Seems Sync oil would hold up on air cooled engine better than dino oil.
I bought a brand new Chevy pick-up in 1981...I had problems with it...rear main oil seal leaking as fast as you could put oil in it, paint pealing off the roof and hood, and rear end problems. I will never owned another Chevy pick-up.
Should I do the same as I did with that Chevy Pick-up?

This is enough to make you want to leave it on their door steps...

Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

To me it sounds like you are being taken care of pretty well. It sucks not to have a bike. Do they offer loaners or a good deal on a rental?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:33 PM
12limited
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
To me it sounds like you are being taken care of pretty well. It sucks not to have a bike. Do they offer loaners or a good deal on a rental?
You are right they are pretty much taking care of things..no real out of pocket expense, but I have to be without the bike again for extended periods. I guess more of an inconvenience than anything. I work a month and off a month. I am off now and usually ride all over the country while I am off.
They have no rentals and said they have no loaners. Honey Moon is over, since my warranty is basically expired.

I just would like to know why these engines are failing on me. Kinda makes me wonder what is going on. IF I need to get rid of this one while the getting is good.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:40 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

If it were me, as soon as it's fixed it would be gone.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:41 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Things that make you go HMMMM....I can see one engine going bad but two???...Either your last name is Murphy or there's more to this story....Just MHO....

Old 10-10-2013, 02:56 PM
12limited
Tourer
Default Yeah, well...

I am the only one I ever heard of loosing one engine, now two. I wish there was more to the story. But I am the only guy I know that has put over 30K in two years on a new bike. I know other people do more than that most folks I know has 5K in 2 years. Garage jewelry..
You finally get it like you want it...changed the handle bars to fit you just right, changed the seat so it feels better. Just before this happen installed a Zumo 665 with XM and weather...and this happens.

Just about to much money to get out now. I need to run it one more year...let them work the bugs out of these new 14 models then trade er it. I guess I need to trade every 2 years, to keep a warranty if this is gonna happen regularly.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Benito
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
If it were me, as soon as it's fixed it would be gone.
^^^ I agree. My 2 cents, WIWD... I would ask the GM if he/she would take your bike in on trade, for a new left-over '13 or possibly a new '14 model... Perhaps the GM may give you a nice discount on the new bike, for your troubles? Can't hurt to ask...

GL/Cheers,

BB

Old 10-10-2013, 03:51 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same bike, same year. As you can see I have "done a few things' to it, which I did as soon as it was broken in. I put a very easy 800 miles on it in a week, then the mods. On my 8th day of owning it, no more warranty. I did all the mods myself, don't trust a harley tech to change my oil, much less anything else. I now have just over 20k miles and have had no issues. I don't abuse it but it does see red line fairly frequently. I changed over to Amsoil in all 3 holes at 500 miles and change it religiously at 5k miles. I am on my 3rd rear tire, but other than that and the oil changes it has not cost me a dime since the mods and it runs quieter than when I rode it home from the dealership when I brought it. Maybe I'm just lucky, but this is my third Harley, none of which ever saw the dealer service after I bought them and I never had an issue. Something isn't right in you situation. If it were me in your shoes, I'd trailer it home from the dealer when it's fixed and sell it, hoping none of the perspective buyers wants to test drive it. LOL.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Does not sound typical for what I've read and my personal experience. Put 62k miles on a 09 Road King engine didn't burn oil or anything and the 11 Limited as 20k with no issues (that I know of got it with 7300 miles); like you I ride a fair amount. I stick to the HD maintenance schedule pretty much without issues.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:08 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 334 Likes on 222 Posts

Sorry I have to ask, What oil were you using?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad rattle in 103 - here we go again.