Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"PBR300x2 Installed not impressed at first, now IMPRESSED"

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM
mgordyan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blockzilla
yeah something wrong.. my gain is on 5 and half volume on the head unit is all I can stand....is your frequency adjustment set on hi-pass?
Yes it is. Maybe its my RCA's, going to check down everything... Then going to say amp is bad.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 AM
mgordyan
Cruiser

My bike is a 07 with original battery. Do you guys think that could be the problem?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you wire the speakers backward?

It has to do with the signal.

I have that amp not hooked to RCAs and I can't go above level 5 without blowing the speakers. It is loud and powerful.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:45 AM
SGFlash
Cruiser

What level should the amp and radio be at when I hook mine up?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master

Yeah something is wrong here.......when I installed mine......the difference was crazy....I actually cant turn mine all the way up with out my ear drums bleeding....I dont understand why there is so much trouble on this forums installing this amp...power,ground,and speaker wires......doesnt get much easier than that!!!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts
Default 2 things

Originally Posted by mgordyan
My bike is a 07 with original battery. Do you guys think that could be the problem?
Don't waste your money on new wires to change one size, or a battery if it will start the bike. Read book about how to adjust gain. If it is writen like the book for the 300X4 it is pretty straight forward. OK so 3 things, check to see if the boosted rail or whatever the little light indicator is called is the right color.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Don't waste your money on new wires to change one size, or a battery if it will start the bike. Read book about how to adjust gain. If it is writen like the book for the 300X4 it is pretty straight forward. OK so 3 things, check to see if the boosted rail or whatever the little light indicator is called is the right color.
What's the other two things???
already bought a battery. Need a new one anyway. I will change rca's, source unit and battery. We will see.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

No, the original '07 electrical system and battery are fine. I have a 125W/ch. @ 2Ω Elf amp installed with the stock HU and the same speakers you have, and it'll blow you out of the seat (figuratively speaking).

Also, the 8-ga. wire you now have installed is larger than the 10-ga. you mentioned using instead, which would be moving in the wrong direction. Your power-wire setup isn't your problem unless it is defective, which is doubtful. I'm using 12-ga. power wire, which is below spec but rated for 28A, and have no problems with overheating or anything else. Anyway, there's no way this system is going to pull that much current the way I use it.

As for setting gain, there is an **** way of doing that with a multimeter, which I did at first but then tweaked it by ear. With HU volume at half-way up the scale I set gain for a comfortable listening level at highway speeds. This has worked for me and it isn't rocket science, as the gain settings are little more than volume controls. Note that as gain is set higher the rate of volume increase also goes up.

Last edited by iclick; 03-14-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blockzilla
yeah something wrong.. my gain is on 5 and half volume on the head unit is all I can stand....is your frequency adjustment set on hi-pass?
Yes it is. Maybe its my RCA's, going to check down everything... Then going to say amp is bad.

Maybe I'm reading something wrong, but if you wrote this correctly, and your filter is set to HP, then that is your problem, it should be set to AP, which is in the center.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:15 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

What's the other two things???
already bought a battery. Need a new one anyway. I will change rca's, source unit and battery. We will see.
Wires, battery and light indicator. I guess if ya needed a battery then by all means replace it. And for sure what iclick says about wire gauge, bigger than what is required certainly wont hurt. And if it is set to HP you will for the most part get tweeter only type of noise. I did that the first time and was very let down, swithed to AP or all pass and was blown away. Would be great if that is all ya gotta do to fix it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "PBR300x2 Installed not impressed at first, now IMPRESSED"