Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RF amp and Polk marines-awesome baby

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RF amp and Polk marines-awesome baby

Thanks to a lot of you on here, you convinced me my stock stereo and speakers weren't good enuf, lol. Installed the RF 300x2 and the Polk Marine grade speakers in the batwing. Holy cow, what a difference. Can't frigging wait to ride tomorrow. Apologize in advance to all the cager that will have to roll their windows up as I come by. HeHe

Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
brandss
Road Captain

Originally Posted by brandss
Thanks to a lot of you on here, you convinced me my stock stereo and speakers weren't good enuf, lol. Installed the RF 300x2 and the Polk Marine grade speakers in the batwing. Holy cow, what a difference. Can't frigging wait to ride tomorrow. Apologize in advance to all the cager that will have to roll their windows up as I come by. HeHe
And why stop there, I have my ipod interface coming next week from Iron Cross and a new stereo from BikeTronics with the retro kit.

Start my second job next week as well.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:49 PM
gliding10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't beat the price on RF amps. The quality is superb. I have the PBR300x4 and 6.5 speakers in my street glide and my buddies can hear their systems when we stop at a lights. It's a good time. Have fun with it

Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 PM
blockzilla
Cruiser

put my Polk MM651's and PBR300X2 in today also . HOLY FREAKIN COW!!!!! This thing is BadAss .......... My ears are killing me just from tuning the amp... crystal clear too ..... Best I have ever heard ..........I knew those new Polks were going to be awesome after I talked to the Polk rep and Crutchfields... .... just a side note .... I tested the amp yesterday with the stock HD coaxial speakers (before my Polks arrived ) and I literally smoked them !!! I could smell them from 10 feet away ... and before they smoked ,even with the new amp ...they sounded like crap !!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

This is kinda what I been looking for. Stock HK HU, nice cheap amp and some good speakers. I only want two speakers.....the ones in my batwing. What speakers did you get exactly? How is everything wired up? Thanks

Old 03-09-2012, 05:16 PM
blockzilla
Cruiser

we both have the PBR300X2 amp, and the new Polk Audio MM651 speakers .... unbelievable sound and waterproof as well... The wiring is very simple... the wires going to your speakers now go into the amps input plug... and your amps output plugs wires go to the speakers , then you need a #10AWG ground and hot wire and its wired... very simple, just get you an amp , those speakers and some 6 1/2" speaker adapters .. I used the ARC Audio adapters ...

Old 03-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

Are the speakers 2 or 4 ohm? Do you run the 10 ga hot to the battery directly? Inline fuse? What about the ground? To battery? Also what do you use to turn the amp "on"? Remote wire? Sorry for all the questions but the setup sounds badass and exactly what Im looking for.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:44 PM
brandss
Road Captain

They are 2 ohm and yes, a 10 ga to the battery with a 30 amp fuse. I used a ground on one of the bolts right behind the battery, not to the battery itself. I initially thought you needed a remote wire buy you don't. I ran the wires up the takn under the console. Used heavy duty velco (heated both the top of the radio and the velcro for a great stick). Its not going anywhere. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or run into issues. Great setup, you will be please

Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 PM
brandss
Road Captain

Originally Posted by blockzilla
we both have the PBR300X2 amp, and the new Polk Audio MM651 speakers .... unbelievable sound and waterproof as well... The wiring is very simple... the wires going to your speakers now go into the amps input plug... and your amps output plugs wires go to the speakers , then you need a #10AWG ground and hot wire and its wired... very simple, just get you an amp , those speakers and some 6 1/2" speaker adapters .. I used the ARC Audio adapters ...
Hey blockzilla - can you give me an idea of the settings like gain, crossover, all that stuff. Havent got into that yet and you could prolly save me time, if you don't mind.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 PM
NC_John
Intermediate

I just did Ver.2 of my system. Replaced the PBR300X4 with the PBR300X2 and the RF Power series 6.5's with the Polk MM561's.

The difference between the amps is huge- I guess it should be, it effectively doubled the power with 1/20th the distortion. I had to leave the gain set to zero as the speakers seemed to not be able to take the power when the volume was turned up. I do like the adjustable crossover on the 2 ch- the 4 ch does not have it. (I'm moving the 4 channel to my tahoe to run my door speakers).

The speakers I am less impressed with, at least in this application- the Polks are awesome- they look well built and have great specs. They are lighter than the RF's and fit better. The included crossovers and separately wired woofer and tweeter are a nice touch. They have better sensitivity as well which also gives additional volume with lower effort. These are better than the dB series Polks I put in my truck and I want to try them in it- HOWEVER- the sound quality is the exact same as the Rockfords which were $85 vs $139 for the MM561's. Of course, the Polks have the marine rating so should last much longer than the RF's would have in this install.

I think the amp and speakers (even the RF's) are about maxing out the poor sound quality that is available from the mediocre factory deck. The source just isn't good enough to really take advantage of the high quality gear after it. That and the huge compromise made with the speakers being in the batwing fairing which is too small an enclosure to let the speakers produce any bass and is not air tight which adds sloppiness to the woofers.

I think this is 100X better than the factory setup. The volume and clarity are tremendous. I just doubt its worth the additional money to upgrade to an even better speaker with the factory headunit and batwing fairing....I question how much better a set of focals could sound behind the factory head unit. BUT, when you can get the amp and polks for around $300 total- that is the deal of the century!

Quick Reply: RF amp and Polk marines-awesome baby