Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another speaker question..RF or focal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
onthelo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
I'm going with the focal 165 VB, a step up from the Access line.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kO07MFF...display=Focal#
These are top notch speakers. Congrats on the purchase!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blockzilla
I just had a long discussion with 2 audio stores/dealers today ..Crutchfield being one of them .. I was looking at Focal and Rockford fosgate ...and pushing them with a PBR300x2 amp .... after it was all said and done ,talking about amp and speaker wattages and blown speakers from running then right at the max rated RMS wattages ,Fosgate is out --- and the Focals that could safely handle the load , way to pricey.... I will be going with the new POLK mm651 model.... more power handling capabilities and better moisture and UV protection... with top quality sound... We'll see how they sound when they get here ....

I just finished my new tunes, went with the MM651s. They are a really nice set of speakers, good bass, handle lots of power, separate crossover, and all at a great price. I paired them with the new Hogtunes amp and tweeter pod, the sound improvement at speed is really noticable.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 PM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I just had a long discussion with 2 audio stores/dealers today ..Crutchfield being one of them .. I was looking at Focal and Rockford fosgate ...and pushing them with a PBR300x2 amp .... after it was all said and done ,talking about amp and speaker wattages and blown speakers from running then right at the max rated RMS wattages ,Fosgate is out --- and the Focals that could safely handle the load , way to pricey.... I will be going with the new POLK mm651 model.... more power handling capabilities and better moisture and UV protection... with top quality sound... We'll see how they sound when they get here ....
Says the MM651 are 6.75" but some say 6.5". Will they fit in the batwing? And if so, what adapter are you going to use?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 AM
onthelo
Road Master

Originally Posted by JHC210
Says the MM651 are 6.75" but some say 6.5". Will they fit in the batwing? And if so, what adapter are you going to use?
I would think they would as I use the Focal 6 3/4" speakers on just ablout every install. The speaker adapter ring is the same.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 AM
blockzilla
Cruiser

thanks Onthelo , I was wondering that myself...

Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke219
Intermediate

On the focals that have seperate tweeters, where are the guys mounting the tweeters?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 PM
NC_John
Intermediate

Now that is interesting. I have a set of polks in my tahoe and like the sound quality. I've also run RF power series in cars and they rock. BUT- the marine grade aspect of the speaker might be enough to get me interested in trying a pair of Polks on the bike. Bagger Nation claims the RF's are weather resistant but what's that based on? The factory doesn't make that claim.

I wish we could line up a row of bikes and do a real side-by-side test of all the different amps, speakers and different combinations of the two. If I keep buying different gear to try out, sooner or later my wife will figure it out.

<added> I just ordered a pair from Crutchfield. They have 2.7 ohm impedance too - I've not seen that before. Looks like I'll be switching out my PBR300X4 and RF 6.5 power speakers this weekend for a PBR300X2 and the Polks.

Last edited by NC_John; 03-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone could tell us where they mount the tweeter with the Focals, I'd really appreciate it. I have a feeling its get the drill out and put a hole in the fairing. Not sure about doing that.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM
blockzilla
Cruiser

NCJohn, go to Polks website and watch them water/salt and UV test the speakers ... its not just hype for them , its real... I'd hate to get caught with my bike sitting out in a toad strangler sometime and have a set of speakers that are "supposed to be" waterproof and arent.....I think this new line of Polks will get the job done....

Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
NC_John
Intermediate

NCJohn, go to Polks website and watch them water/salt and UV test the speakers ... its not just hype for them , its real... I'd hate to get caught with my bike sitting out in a toad strangler sometime and have a set of speakers that are "supposed to be" waterproof and arent.....I think this new line of Polks will get the job done....
Awesome. I washed the scoot on Saturday and was real nervous about getting too much water down the front fairing on the rockfords. I wondered how they were expected to survive in the rear pods while riding in the rain? I tour extensively on mine so this stuff has to got to survive real world conditions. My polks will be waiting for me at the house Thursday night. The 2 ch amp is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. We'll compare notes....

Quick Reply: Another speaker question..RF or focal