Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"PBR300x2 Installed not impressed at first, now IMPRESSED"

Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "PBR300x2 Installed not impressed at first, now IMPRESSED"

What did I do wrong. I have a Kenwood HU, Hawg Wired Universal Install kit, running the RCA's. Hertz Hi-energy 6.5's. I did all the adjustments. Just not to impressed. The stock stuff seems clearer and louder. I did not ground to the battery, also, I bought a 8 ga install kit because I could not find a 10 ga. Has anyone installed this with RCA's or just speaker connections. Maybe I set me expectations too high.... Please help.

EDITED 3-20-2012, I figured this amp out and now I'm IMPRESSED!!! Read below for details...

Last edited by mgordyan; 03-20-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: IMPRESSED NOW!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordyan
What did I do wrong. I have a Kenwood HU, Hawg Wired Universal Install kit, running the RCA's. Hertz Hi-energy 6.5's. I did all the adjustments. Just not to impressed. The stock stuff seems clearer and louder. I did not ground to the battery, also, I bought a 8 ga install kit because I could not find a 10 ga. Has anyone installed this with RCA's or just speaker connections. Maybe I set me expectations too high.... Please help.
i bought the 4 channel amp with 4 speakers i didnt use RCAs when i talked to paul yaffe at the sacramento easy rider show he said wire the speakers and let me tell u iam totally impressed with the sound i have. iam using memphis car audio speakers and they kick some serious *** .iam not sure what wrong with your system but mine rocks crystal clear. i really like the memphis speakers. also i did ground to my battery as well the positive side as well.

Last edited by roadgliderick; 03-13-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:14 AM
AnthonyGen
Intermediate

Snap! I just returned the Hogtunes Rev 902.2 Speakers and Amp without installing them after reading great reviews on the Rockford PBR300x2 and the Hertz 6.5" Speakers. This sounded like the perfect setup for a crystal clear loud system. I hope it's just your RCA hook-up vs. High Level Speaker Input. Please update us because I'm anxiously awaiting my new amp and speakers for my FLHX. Hope your system ends up working to your liking.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:19 AM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just installed the pbr300 4 channel (just 2 channels hooked up)with rockford p1s and it's deafnitly louder, expected more tho, kinda bland sounding.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 AM
gearedforacure
Cruiser

There are a lot of things at play here. I would try running your speaker outs instead of RCAs. RCAs are unbalanced signals and therefore have an easier time picking up "noise". The speaker outs also push more voltage, which should result in better signal strength.

Just be aware that the speaker outs will clip sooner than the RCA outs, and you also want to ensure that the amp is designed to handle the more powerful speaker level outs.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:24 AM
blockzilla
Cruiser

I used the stock HK head unit , and no RCA's ... used the hi level output (wiring my old speaker wires into the input of the amp)... and mine friggin rocks !!! Now I will say that wired up to the HD speakers it totaly sounded like crap... and I was worried , but after hooking it up to the Polks and tuning the amp , I was happy as can be..... very loud and very clear ... good luck

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

For sure something is wrong. You have some pretty good quality stuff there and should blow away the stock stuff by miles!!!! Hope ya figure it out soon, you should be jammin' pretty good with that set up!! I have not dealt with the 2 channel yet, but I am curious what ya find out. Good luck
Kris

Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 AM
mgordyan
Cruiser

Going to call RF today. Has anyone hooked up to RCA and then switched to high level input. I'm thinking its either the signal or power feed. I am going to store to buy 10 ga wire at lunch for both power and ground, see if that helps. I think maybe I got bad amp. The radio is at 80% and gain is almost all the way up. When turning it up, only when it hit the max does it "kick". Who knows. Hopefully RF can help out. Like I said, maybe I'm expecting too much out of it....

Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM
mgordyan
Cruiser

Just got off the phone with RF. Said should only have gain set to like 3 or 4 and it should rock. So going to go home and try a different source. And quadruple check all connections.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 AM
blockzilla
Cruiser

yeah something wrong.. my gain is on 5 and half volume on the head unit is all I can stand....is your frequency adjustment set on hi-pass?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "PBR300x2 Installed not impressed at first, now IMPRESSED"