Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk MM651 and RF Amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:40 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it is a matter of smoking it, I think it is a matter of sound quality. an impedance mismatch can give you an awful sound. I don't know how much of a mismatch it takes to be noticible, but I tried it once with a 4 ohm difference and it was horrible.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I sent Polk customer service an email asking the question posed here: can I use the MM series (2.7 ohm impedance) speakers with the RF 300PBRX4 amp?

The response was:

Carl,
I would not recommend pairing the MM series speakers with the Rockford amplifier.
I would be concerned about potential overheating of the amplifier.
I would suggest looking at the db or DXi series speakers.

Thanks,
Kim

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 10-15-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:48 AM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I sent Polk customer service an email asking the question posed here: can I use the MM series (2.7 ohm impedance) speakers with the RF 300PBRX4 amp?

The response was, paraphrasing, "No, since the amp would overheat."

Carl
Thanks Carl! I sent them one a week ago but never got a response.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I've corrected my original post regarding the email response I received from RF customer service by cutting and pasting the response.

As for this specific RF amp being stable at 2 ohms, I haven't read that anywhere on RF's website. If you want to know, call RF customer service; I've found them to be very responsive.

Carl

Old 10-19-2011, 11:52 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that's kind of bummer news. I was all set and looking forward to the MMs. The DBs just don't look as beefy.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM
tinshield
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Same Boat As The Rest of You

I feel the pain brothers, just yesterday I installed a Alpine CDE123 and a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 along with the Biketronics handle bar adapter. Upon reading the instructions (should have done that first) the amp states do not use anything except 4Ohms and I do have Polk Audio 6051 with are 2.7Ohms, so last night I ordered a pair of FOCAL 165 CA1 6-1/2" VEHICLE AUDIO 2-WAY 240W COAXIAL SPEAKERS ACCESS 1 SERIES and should be here by Wednesday in the mean time I took the Orion's out of my wife's bike (2009 Street Glide) and put the Polk's in her's and the Orion's in mine (2008 Street Glide) for now. She is happy with the Polk's but I am sure once she hears mine when it is done I will be doing the same for her. I do like the Alpine radio due to the fact I use an Ipod and it comes with a hook up for the ipod and I can control it from the handle bars also it is a USB port in the front so I can just stick a thumb drive in there loaded with music. I should be going down the road by this Saturday smiling and bobbing to the beat of my new install.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Focal's are nice stuff. Give a review when you get yours. I ended up ordering the RF Punch Power 6.5", which I'm sure will be very nice, but for the $75 I paid for them, they are replaceable if I find something better down the road.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
tinshield
Intermediate

Update: received the Focal's yesterday and in stalled same last night. The company from which I purchased the speakers from had to send me the newer ones due to the fact the ones I ordered have been discontinued. They did not cost me a penny more and the air mailed them out to me so that I would have them the next day. Now how do I like the setup, WOW I should have done this sooner, the speakers are aw some, I know a lot about sound systems in my house I have about $30,000.00 tied up in sound. These speakers blow away anything else I have heard or found. They are rated 70-140 watts at 93db, so it doesn't take much to drive them, the base is very good for a coaxial speaker good mid range and uppers. The installed Alpine CDE123 and a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 along with the Biketronics handle bar adapter makes it a complete package. I have went through the use of Polk audio, Orion, BJL speakers and there is no comparison also I have tried the Biketronics amp and the Fosgate blows the Biketronics away, not trying to offend anyone on here but just speaking the truth. Thinking over the winder might try and install something into the bag lids since I have the out puts for the rear on the amp, all in all I am a very happy rider again. I love my tunes.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 AM
InMotionJosh
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you give the model number for the focal speakers you ordered. Also what are you speaking of when you mention the handlebar adapter.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM
tinshield
Intermediate

Focal 1C 165 http://www.focal-america.com/category/speakers/ Biketronics BT1005 Kit - BT1005 Kit which allows you to use an aftermarket stereo and still maintain all of your controls from the handle bar. With the Alpine I have installed a I pod which plugs into the rear of the radio (all wires and plugs come with the radio) also there is a front USB so you can put a thumb drive into with all your songs on it and both are controlled through the handle bar.

Quick Reply: Polk MM651 and RF Amp