Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another speaker question..RF or focal

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen anyone mention ( HAT ) Hybrid Audio Technologies speakers in this thread yet.
The "Imagine" line is what I have been looking at and what I am thinking of going with . I have had the MM651's before but was not impressed with them. I did not have an amp so maybe that was the problem, I don't know.
But I have heard nothing but good things about the HAT speakers and they even have a video of them pouring water on a playing speaker to show it's weatherproofing.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:45 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Using an amp makes the biggest difference is sound quality on a bike. It takes a lot of power to overcome the noise from the motor and the wind, and the stock radio just won't do the job. I would rather have stock speakers and an amp than the best speakers and no amp, when you're doing 70 mph it's all about the wattage.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

My next set of fairing speakers are gonna be either the Polk mm561's or component version mm6500. Having a FLHT, I already have the two holes for the tweeters. What I think I will do is put my fuel/volt gauges in the lower holes and put the tweeters in those gauge holes. Being about 3" higher and about an inch outward on each side, the sound might be a bit more spatial. I'll be watching some prices....

Old 09-18-2016, 09:23 AM
breich41
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speakers and amps

ive spent hundreds of hours researching this topic and installed hogtunes,j&M Rokker,Biketronics,Harley Boom,etc.. i finally gave in and bought Focal es165kx2 and focal amp.in my opinion nothing compares to the sound and yes there expensive but i spent a lot more on the junk i bought in the past.If you got the money to spend and your a music junkie like myself spend the money one time,to the regular person the others sound just ok in my opinion and may be perfect for there ears but if you want loud,clean crisp music spend the loot!!!

Old 10-10-2016, 10:03 AM
tigerking
Intermediate

Originally Posted by breich41
ive spent hundreds of hours researching this topic and installed hogtunes,j&M Rokker,Biketronics,Harley Boom,etc.. i finally gave in and bought Focal es165kx2 and focal amp.in my opinion nothing compares to the sound and yes there expensive but i spent a lot more on the junk i bought in the past.If you got the money to spend and your a music junkie like myself spend the money one time,to the regular person the others sound just ok in my opinion and may be perfect for there ears but if you want loud,clean crisp music spend the loot!!!
hi there...aren't you guys concerned about the rain for such systems?

Old 01-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Mikestuart
Stage II
Default Question about the focal lines

Originally Posted by onthelo
Focal, I use them in 90% of my builds. They are excellent speakers and handle the power of the Alpine PDX F6 amp wonderfully. They do not have a harsh tweeter and can reproduce midbass very well. I always recomend these first when fabricating
for my street glide special do you think going with 6.5 access focal is good or should I spend more to get the focal KRC's?

Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Mikestuart
Stage II

Originally Posted by bald1der
I had the Polks, had issues with 2 sets. Finally swapped out with Focals. No issues. Crutchfield A-1 Customer service.
which focals did you go with?

Old 01-05-2017, 08:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Hi Mike,

welcome to the Forums

you have dragged up an old thread, so you may not get much action...but you will get my 2¢ !

I tried J&M in my 09 FLHTC- they were crap.

I recently put in a pair of infinity kappa 6.5 with adapter rings for about $115 total on amazon.

The result is pretty darn good with the stock headunit.

I had meant to use Polk MM651- the seller sent MM651-UM ( which won;t fit in a harley) so they went back.

but if you have money to spend, there is an audio section of the forums- beware!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-05-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

I heard those Focal are solid speaks....Should sound awesome.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:57 AM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

With all the outside noises traffic, sirens, trucks, not to mention air fluctuations makes it difficult to hear correct? Don't understand why you don't invest in a high end home system instead, must be missing something...

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Quick Reply: Another speaker question..RF or focal