Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another speaker question..RF or focal

Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerstroke219
On the focals that have seperate tweeters, where are the guys mounting the tweeters?
Originally Posted by brandss
If anyone could tell us where they mount the tweeter with the Focals, I'd really appreciate it. I have a feeling its get the drill out and put a hole in the fairing. Not sure about doing that.

I have a hog tune tweeter pod, I just take out the old tweeters and put in the new. I don't know if you can replace gauges with them, you can always cut holes or they come with surface mounts you could mount them on the dash.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 PM
focal guy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, im new here and I am an installer at Mach1 car audio in Golden Valley MN. I work on quite a few bikes and the question always comes up " what speakers should i use?" i have had the best outcome with Focal. I see that some guys are wondering where to mount the tweeters so I will show you what we did here. We moved the air and oil gauges into the side pockets and put the tweether in place, looks and sounds AMAZING!!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I went to the local Focal dealer yesterday wanting to listen to some 6.5" coax's. sales rep gave me song/dance about them being an authorized Focal dealer but they don't stock them anymore, saying they have better luck with JL Audio/Hertz products. He's trying real hard to convince me I need some $575 JL components. I advise him I have Memphis Audio Mclass components and he starts saying they don't compare. Ok, not making any fans now. Anyhowz, I listen to some JL/Hertz 6.5"s and they sound nice, but quite honestly, not $100 nicer than the Polk Dxi650's I listened to an hour later. Might be my 55 yr old weathered ears but I went with some Dxi's for my 6.5" lids for $67 (open box) thru Crutchfield. We shall see......

Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had Hertz Dieci's. Didn't like that they distorted on higher volume. Went to the Polk MM651 from newegg.com of all places. Running off of the RF 300x4 amp with the highpass set and gain set to 5-6, they sound absolutely incredible.

The best thing I like about the Polks is they use Neodymium magnets. 1/4 the size of the Hertz. I noticed immediately, that the fairing wouldn't shake nearly as bad at idle or when downshifting coming up to a stoplight. Mirrors are usable again.

They are 2.7 ohms vs 4 like Rockford recommends but the amp gets no hotter than it did before.. Which is still damn hot. 4 hours of full volume riding in 90 degree heat and it didn't clip once.

If you do go this route.. Make damn sure you don't go by the lines on the wire to signify negative/positive. RF the line is negative. Polk it's positive.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 for the Polk MM651s, mine sound great. Best part was I paid $109 delivered from Amazon, can't beat it.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Loop4re7
Cruiser

Just installed Polk mm651s with Rockford Fosgate amp. Very Happy.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I was very interested in some Polk MM650um's for my lids but was leery of having an exposed speaker with their spoke wheel type grill. I made some calls (Polk, Sonic, 3Kings, etc) to get some info on dealer support. With the 3Kings, Sonic, etc you are at their mercy for any warranty issues as they are not authorized dealers. The authorized dealers (Crutchfield, Best buy, etc) have prices of $100 more. Owners of both the MM/DB-Dxi models have stated the MM do sound a bit better but not dramatically so. I did like the sound of the Dxi's at Best Buy but no MM's available to hear. Crutchfield stated that being marine speakers, warranty would be honored for m/c use so I spent $9.99 on a 3 yr extended for cheap insurance. I'm thinking of going with Dxi650's up front as I have a buyer for my current components and I just might as well match up frt/rr speakers. We'll see......

Old 08-01-2012, 08:10 AM
dgm410
Advanced

I also have the MM651's with the RFPBR300 amp and so far, very happy.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice looking work. Looks like your using new Alpine Bluetooth HU's. Really like mine!

[QUOTE=focal guy;10145564]Hey guys, im new here and I am an installer at Mach1 car audio in Golden Valley MN. I work on quite a few bikes and the question always comes up " what speakers should i use?" i have had the best outcome with Focal. I see that some guys are wondering where to mount the tweeters so I will show you what we did here. We moved the air and oil gauges into the side pockets and put the tweether in place, looks and sounds AMAZING!! [QUOTE]

Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Bigbird
Tourer

Can I use the Polk 651's in my Road Glide?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another speaker question..RF or focal