Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PBR300x2

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Before you change anything, how did you set the gain on the amp? I ask because you can get clipping because the gain isn't set correctly with the head unit volume.

Carl
After experiencing too much noise in my system using the Sony w/ Tune Tray, RF PBR300X4 and RF Power coaxials I decided to go back to speaker level inputs and remove the RCAs. OMG what a difference! The sound quality is so much better and now my gain is set to 1... YES 1 because it's so damn loud.

I am now hearing frequencies being played that I never heard with the RCAs.

Just like a lot of other guys on here have stated. High level (speaker) inputs are far superior on this amp. It's really not built for RCA hook-ups.

Try it and see the difference!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 PM
FFHD05
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you change anything, how did you set the gain on the amp? I ask because you can get clipping because the gain isn't set correctly with the head unit volume.

Carl

carl can you elaborate on the proper way to set the amp up? i followed your cvo speaker thread and my 300x4 will be here monday i went polk dxi650's for all 4 speakers

Old 03-24-2012, 02:09 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carl
the gain is just one hair past #5 on the input gain, low/all/high switch is in the highpass setting & i adjusted the x-over too.

its load as hell before it clips but you bump the folume button one more notch & it will clip.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:14 PM
fannin
Cruiser

I adjusted the gain on mine using a DMM. It sounds amazing.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FFHD05
carl can you elaborate on the proper way to set the amp up? i followed your cvo speaker thread and my 300x4 will be here monday i went polk dxi650's for all 4 speakers
I'm not a tech or audio professional, but I've found this website very helpful for many purposes, including setting the gains on the PBR300x4:

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

Basically, I've set the gains at their lowest; set bass and treble flat on the HK head unit; and, increased volume to about 3/4 max. Then I've increased gain to where I hear distortion.

Also, music source seems to be an important variable since various media may be recorded at different output volume levels.

Bottom line: I believe setting amp controls is mostly art, given variabilities in speakers and music sources.

Carl

Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 AM
FLHXRIDER88
Advanced

Hey CHILLS, I am in Roseville... What shop did you go to? I am looking for a good deal on one right now for my 07 FLHX

Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FLHXRIDER88
Hey CHILLS, I am in Roseville... What shop did you go to? I am looking for a good deal on one right now for my 07 FLHX
i got mine from AUDIO CITY on fair oaks blvd & don way

Audio City

7609 Fair Oaks Blvd
Carmichael, CA 95608
(916) 515-8297

Old 06-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Bobber Jake
Tourer

Well I just got the 300x4 today and OMG is it awesome, I am running the sony with the tune tray and polk DXI6500 components....however I am getting the clipping, I have the gain set at 5 and the xover set on all pass. So tomorrow I am gonna set the gain a lil lower and roll with it.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bobber Jake
Well I just got the 300x4 today and OMG is it awesome, I am running the sony with the tune tray and polk DXI6500 components....however I am getting the clipping, I have the gain set at 5 and the xover set on all pass. So tomorrow I am gonna set the gain a lil lower and roll with it.
try the hi pass & run the gain just off the bottom & that should stop the clipping.
hi pass will keep the base from coming through the speakers but still alow mids to come through.
i didnt think it would work till i tried it & mann what a difference.
im running the HK deck & the gain just off the bottom & i can crank the volum almost all the way up befor it starts to distort.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Bobber Jake
Tourer

Originally Posted by CHILLLS
try the hi pass & run the gain just off the bottom & that should stop the clipping.
hi pass will keep the base from coming through the speakers but still alow mids to come through.
i didnt think it would work till i tried it & mann what a difference.
im running the HK deck & the gain just off the bottom & i can crank the volum almost all the way up befor it starts to distort.
I will try that next if just lowering the gain dont work, I am tired of taking the front off....... I figured it was just over heating.....

Quick Reply: PBR300x2