Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RF PBR amp and speakers installed,very dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I will say it, something is not right... but sitting in a chair behind a key board I can not tell you what it is. one thing I did when hooking up my RF amp is that looking at the input and output speaker plugs you would think they would go directly across from each other, they do not. it sounded real weak like this. I reread the instructions again and again, then I hooked them up right and BAM it came to life. the input and out hook up in an X pattern. if your looking at the top of amp and you have the power/ground/remote hook up on your left side, the WT Grey set of the IP wires goes in the front plug, and on the OP side it goes in the back. they are opposite of what you'd think. or that is what my small brain thought.
There is something you are missing, don't panic or get pissed these things can be a real bitch.
Mine sounds really good, although not the same set up you have speaker wise. you have good components, so it should all work together just fine and sound great.
good luck you'll figure it out.
Oh BTW, I have my gain set way low like 2 to 3. it's not as loud but it sounds much better.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
What is the sensitivity rating on the Hertz speakers compared to the RFs? There is no way you should be getting more sound from the 5-1/4 than the 6-1/2s unless the 6-1/2s are an inferior speaker. Also are you using any kind of dampening material to help with the acoustics.

The Titan speakers are rated at 93.2db,the RF speakers in the tp are rated at 86.5 db.

Originally Posted by ripper43
I will say it, something is not right... but sitting in a chair behind a key board I can not tell you what it is. one thing I did when hooking up my RF amp is that looking at the input and output speaker plugs you would think they would go directly across from each other, they do not. it sounded real weak like this. I reread the instructions again and again, then I hooked them up right and BAM it came to life. the input and out hook up in an X pattern. if your looking at the top of amp and you have the power/ground/remote hook up on your left side, the WT Grey set of the IP wires goes in the front plug, and on the OP side it goes in the back. they are opposite of what you'd think. or that is what my small brain thought.
There is something you are missing, don't panic or get pissed these things can be a real bitch.
Mine sounds really good, although not the same set up you have speaker wise. you have good components, so it should all work together just fine and sound great.
good luck you'll figure it out.
Oh BTW, I have my gain set way low like 2 to 3. it's not as loud but it sounds much better.

I'm taking it back into the stereo shop tuesday. He has done many bikes before,and is 99% it is wired right. I'm just wondering why isn't there more volume? The rear pods sound pretty loud,and the acustics in the tp pods suck too. The front should be where you hear most of the sound,but it is the exact opposite. The Titan speakers from Biketronics are supposed to be great,thats why I bought them. Was I completely wrong,are they terrible? Just real frustrated right now,after spending a good bit of money,and the sound just isn't anywhere close to what I thought it would be.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not familiar with the amp, but I usually adjust front and rear gain seperately. Disconnect the rear speakers and adjust the gain on the fronts.. See how they sound on their own without the rears. The hertz speakers are very nice and with good power behind them mot anybody should be very happy.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Yes both gains are adjusted,and all 4 channels are being used. These new Biketronics Titan/Hertz 2's,or what ever the hell they call them are 4ohm. The older ones were 3ohm.
The Titan II are not a Hertz speaker, they are made by Hybrid Audio (at least that's what BT told me a few months ago when I was researching components). They said they got great performance from them. I hope you get it all figured out, I would be bummed too. Hopefully it's just a simple wiring error or something.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by hougz79
The Titan II are not a Hertz speaker, they are made by Hybrid Audio (at least that's what BT told me a few months ago when I was researching components). They said they got great performance from them. I hope you get it all figured out, I would be bummed too. Hopefully it's just a simple wiring error or something.

Yeah,I got off the phone with them today. They said they perform the same as the older Biketronics/Hertz speakers just made better to withstand the shaking and vibration better. He said they had some issues with the tweeter dislodging from the speaker,so they felt they needed to upgrade their design.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope your issue gets worked out swiftly.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:26 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Titan speakers are rated at 93.2db,the RF speakers in the tp are rated at 86.5 db.

I'm taking it back into the stereo shop tuesday. He has done many bikes before,and is 99% it is wired right. I'm just wondering why isn't there more volume? The rear pods sound pretty loud,and the acustics in the tp pods suck too. The front should be where you hear most of the sound,but it is the exact opposite. The Titan speakers from Biketronics are supposed to be great,thats why I bought them. Was I completely wrong,are they terrible? Just real frustrated right now,after spending a good bit of money,and the sound just isn't anywhere close to what I thought it would be.
I have too, but that don't mean we all don't make mistakes.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the PBR 300x4 with the RF 5 1/4 in the tp. Up front I went with Titan/Hertz 6 1/2. I have amp set up for all pass,gain set first at 3 then 4,now finally at 5. I have to say I expected a lot more. It is pretty clear but to hear it really good you have to turn it almost all the way up. Put it this way with the HK radio my volume bar is under the E in volume. I can actually hear the rear speakers from the tp pods a lot more. I don't think anything is installed wrong,just wondering if there might be something I'am missing.
Turn your AVC off on your HK head unit. Set the bass at 4 bars and treble at half on the HK. Turn the gain up on the amp to just under 5. Half volume should be cranking pretty good.