2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 09:40 AM
jfl330
Road Captain
Received 305 Likes on 167 Posts

Installed Motohorn Dual Track horns. Incredibly loud, they do what the stock horn could only dream of. Should be standard, not an add-on.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:41 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,606 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
but my short list is 1) older Sportster that we don't care if if gets dropped, 2) Nightster if she decides she DOES care about her first bike looking nice, and 3) something like a Ducati Scrambler or the one of the smaller BMWs. Personally, I like #1 and #2 the best, because if it doesn't pan out I'd love to own a Sportster, and the nightster would be a fun little 2nd bike or it could be traded in towards a touring bike if she wants to remain a passenger instead of piloting her own bike.
About the new Nightster. There's crash cage components for it already.
https://www.bungking.com/sportster-2022-current/
I think because BungKing has a full crashcage setup for the bike on the market, and because the bike has rain mode and options to install forward controls, it's an excellent starter bike choice now.
IMO a starter bike needs to be tame or have a low power mode option, a full crash cage installed, and still be able to handle the freeway since the USA has a heavy reliance on high speed roads.
The new Nightster was the bike that nearly made me reconsider buying my Fat Boy, but HD did not come out with a fully silver trim version like one of the concept released of it had.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 04-23-2024 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
RGS88 (04-23-2024), wlwoodruff (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:44 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,846 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
About the new nighster. There's crash cage components for it already.
https://www.bungking.com/sportster-2022-current/
I think because BungKing has a full crashcage setup for the bike on the market, and because the bike has rain mode and options to install forward controls, it's an excellent starter bike choice now.
IMO a starter bike needs to be tame or have a low power mode option, a full crash cage installed, and still be able to handle the freeway since the USA has a heavy reliance on high speed roads.
The new Nightster was the bike that nearly made me reconsider buying my Fat Boy, but HD did not come out with a fully silver trim version like one of the concept released of it had.
We may go have her sit on one today since we finally both have off on a day the spawns are at daycare. I do like the idea of getting her one with ABS, traction control, rain mode etc... Also, crash bars will most certainly be something that gets added.

Knowing her, the thing will rarely see speeds over 75 mph. and probably never go over 5k RPM lol

Old 04-23-2024, 10:10 AM
wlwoodruff
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

We may go have her sit on one today since we finally both have off on a day the spawns are at daycare. I do like the idea of getting her one with ABS, traction control, rain mode etc... Also, crash bars will most certainly be something that gets added.

Knowing her, the thing will rarely see speeds over 75 mph. and probably never go over 5k RPM lol
I haven't been on a Nightster, but my second bike is a Sportster S, and that thing is more fun that a basket full of puppies. The Nightster seems like a better first-bike choice though, because the stock Sporty S suspension has very little travel and can be fairly harsh. (The Wilbers suspension has helped a lot, but it would be nice if the first bike didn't need a bunch of help to enjoy.) If the Nightster handles like the Sporty, it'll be perfectly comfortable into triple digits, if and when she's ready. The Nightster won't have quite the same Harley rumble, but with 90 hp she'll have no trouble keeping up with you . . .

Keep that lady happy; even if you have to slow down a bit, riding together should be a treat!

Old 04-23-2024, 10:27 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wlwoodruff
I haven't been on a Nightster, but my second bike is a Sportster S, and that thing is more fun that a basket full of puppies. The Nightster seems like a better first-bike choice though, because the stock Sporty S suspension has very little travel and can be fairly harsh. (The Wilbers suspension has helped a lot, but it would be nice if the first bike didn't need a bunch of help to enjoy.) If the Nightster handles like the Sporty, it'll be perfectly comfortable into triple digits, if and when she's ready. The Nightster won't have quite the same Harley rumble, but with 90 hp she'll have no trouble keeping up with you . . .

Keep that lady happy; even if you have to slow down a bit, riding together should be a treat!
I test rode a Sportster S before buying my LRS, and I was blown away by how fun and fast that thing is! Not what I was looking for at the time, but as a second bike I'm sure I'd put some miles on it lol

The following users liked this post:
wlwoodruff (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 10:37 AM
Mr.Rabies
Intermediate
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

i had a sportster. painful and cramped even at 5'8 and 155lbs with change in my pocket.

installed 8" risers. 6" was too short (felt too much like sport bike hunched over)

Last edited by Mr.Rabies; 04-23-2024 at 10:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr.Rabies:
ACE_Moto88 (04-24-2024), RGS88 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 05:31 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior

So I played with the windshield today for about 90 miles. No matter the height or angle, it shakes my helmet to the point I can't properly read upcoming exits or billboards. However, it is really nice how it keeps some of the wind off my chest, much less tiring.

I figure I could buy the anti-buffeting kits, but I suspect I'd be better served cutting the windshield lower to prevent it from hitting my helmet at an angle. Any higher on the screen and i'll be looking through it even at highway speeds.

I never had issues with the wind on my helmet prior to the windscreen. So, would you guys try the anti-buffeting kit in my situation, or pull out the jigsaw and take it down 1" at a time until the buffeting goes away?

Old 04-23-2024, 07:08 PM
b2inUT
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 94 Posts

So I played with the windshield today for about 90 miles. No matter the height or angle, it shakes my helmet to the point I can't properly read upcoming exits or billboards. However, it is really nice how it keeps some of the wind off my chest, much less tiring.

I figure I could buy the anti-buffeting kits, but I suspect I'd be better served cutting the windshield lower to prevent it from hitting my helmet at an angle. Any higher on the screen and i'll be looking through it even at highway speeds.

I never had issues with the wind on my helmet prior to the windscreen. So, would you guys try the anti-buffeting kit in my situation, or pull out the jigsaw and take it down 1" at a time until the buffeting goes away?
before you cut the windshield, get some longer bolts for the bottom of the windshield, some oil hose or something more rigid and space it up and down incrementally.

Old 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by b2inUT
before you cut the windshield, get some longer bolts for the bottom of the windshield, some oil hose or something more rigid and space it up and down incrementally.
I guess that does make more sense than jumping right to a "permanent" solution, but if I'm correct, raising the shield even higher is going to cut into my vision (the curve at the top is *just* under my line of sight), so even if I do get rid of the buffeting, I might still be dealing with vision issues especially in the city where I'm not looking quite as far ahead.

But, like it's been pointed out, makes sense to at least try the cheaper method before jumping to the saw right away.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:06 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 142 Posts

I got in a bracket setup from elite touring innovations. It's made to mount a top case like a pelican box to it and clear a 2 up seat. I still had my take off king pack from an ultra I kept when I traded in my road glide but the studs mount outside the bracket itself. So I cut up the bracket from the road glide and made it all work before taking apart to match the paint. It'll be good for long rides. Mini grandpa glide in full effect.

The following 3 users liked this post by CryingJoker:
Harman (04-29-2024), RGS88 (04-24-2024), ryderbiker (04-24-2024)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?